Member Recognition Awards 2021
Watch the Member Recognition Celebration
Learn about the achievements and contributions of our 2021 honourees.
Jane Long, CPA, CA
- Donates a minimum of 5% of her firm’s profits back into the community each year.
- Shares her expertise and inspirational leadership as a mentor, motivating many young people to pursue a CPA career.
- Raises the visibility of the CPA profession through her reputation for excellence with clients.
Jennifer Cudlipp, CPA, CGA
- Shares her insight with young leaders as a mentor with GVBOT’s Leaders of Tomorrow Program.
- Guided RainCity Housing through service expansion, as well as COVID-19 and the opioid crisis.
- As a board director, provided insights in strategy and mergers for the United Way of the Lower Mainland (2018-2021).
Edward Pereira, CPA, CGA
- Serves as a key source of cybersecurity education, resources, and best practices to the accounting profession.
- Guided government ministries to prepare for cyber challenges as a charter member of the B.C. Government’s Provincial Security Advisory Council (2017-present).
- Co-founded the B.C. Aware Campaign (2014), a cybersecurity conference connecting business, government, and post-secondary institutions.
Ryan Barrington-Foote, FCPA, FCA
- Has overseen a sales increase from $5 billion to $12.7 billion during his tenure at The Jim Pattison Group.
- Has provided key direction in governance, finance, and reporting as a board director with Canfor (2017-present) and Just Energy (2015-2017).
- Received the Business in Vancouver Top 40 Under 40 Award (2009).
Paul Challinor, FCPA, FCA
- Fostered diversity as a member of PwC’s BC Region Leadership Group, mentoring seven of 10 female assurance partners at PwC today.
- As a board director, advanced CPABC’s financial literacy and anti-money laundering initiatives (2017-2020).
- Oversaw financial stewardship at Canuck Place Children’s Hospice, including fundraising to build a children’s hospice in Abbotsford.
Carol Chiang, FCPA, FCA
- Received the KPMG Impact Award for supporting clients during COVID-19 (2020) and for championing inclusion and mental health (2021).
- Led KPMG to grow its NPO client base more than 35% in the past 5 years.
- Provided oversight for several milestone funding agreements at the Terry Fox Research Institute.
Michael Cinnamond, FCPA, FCA
- Led B2Gold Corp to more than double gold production.
- Received the TopGun CFO award from Brendan Wood International for exceptional achievement as a CFO (2019).
- Mentored and sponsored PwC’s first female equity partner in the mining industry.
Victor Giacomin, FCPA, FCA
- Facilitated a donation enabling Guru Nanak’s Free Kitchen to purchase a building to provide daily meals for those in need.
- Guided the Pacific Autism Family Foundation to open a centre that supports people on the autism spectrum (2016).
- Led the Down Syndrome Research Foundation to be recognized as Not-for-Profit Organization of the Year (2014).
Grant Lee, FCPA, FCA
- Leads HSBC Bank Canada’s tax team to consistently provide excellent service and technical skills.
- As president of ACT 2 (2008-2014), established the social service agency’s mission statement, vision, and leadership plan.
- Named to SFU’s Faculty of Business Teaching Honour Roll (1999-2000); received UBC’s Teaching Excellence Award (1997).
Lenora Lee, FCPA, FCA
- Built KPMG BC’s education practice into a market leader; today, over 25 of BC’s 60 school boards are KPMG clients.
- Has led recruiting, training, and mentoring of 150-plus CPA students at KPMG’s Victoria office.
- Received the Distinguished Alumni of the Year Award from the University of Victoria (2017).
Benita Loughlin, FCPA, FCA
- Respected as one of Canada’s pre-eminent experts on cross-border tax planning and compliance.
- Established and grew KPMG’s global mobility services (GMS) tax practice in Vancouver to a team of 20-plus cross-border tax specialists serving 1,000 clients.
- Has advanced thought leadership on GMS provincially and nationally as a speaker, educator, and author.
Stanley Mitchell, FCPA, FCA
- Advanced knowledge in Indigenous tax nationwide for decades including as a contributing editor to KPMG’s Indigenous & Canadian Tax guide.
- Served as a commodity tax specialist for KPMG’s Northern BC offices for the GST, PST, and Employer Health Care Tax.
- Provided voluntary leadership to many not-for-profit organizations on tax-related matters for over 30 years.
Matthew Murray, FCPA, FCMA
- Led TELUS’ COVID-19 financial response plan, enabling a $150 million commitment to support relief efforts across Canada.
- Coached and developed his leadership team and delivered global top decile engagement scores from 2017-present.
- Enhanced board diversity and skills as a member of CPABC’s Board Renewal Committee (2017-2018).
Carolyn Rogers, FCPA, FCMA
- Through her leadership and knowledge, contributes to Canada’s economic well-being as the senior deputy governor of the Bank of Canada.
- During COVID-19, led the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision’s Secretariat to develop policy responses to ensure the global banking system would remain resilient.
- Received the PEAK Award from the Association of Women in Finance (2016).
Ray Walia, FCPA, FCMA
- Advanced BC’s augmented and virtual reality (ARVR) sector by developing a dedicated ARVR facility in Vancouver (2018).
- Co-founded Traction Conference to bring together investors and fast-growing companies (2015).
- Has helped over 100 international startups from 27 countries expand into Canada through the Canadian Startup Visa Program.
Lifetime Achievement Award
Olin Anton, FCPA, FCA
- Led CPABC as its inaugural board chair in 2015.
- Played a pivotal role in the unification of the accounting profession and the successful establishment of CPABC.
- Through over three decades of volunteering, created a stronger accounting profession that is well-regarded in BC and across Canada.
Award Overviews and Nomination Criteria
Nominators are responsible for ensuring that the file is complete and that the information it contains is accurate and sufficient to allow the committees to fairly evaluate the nomination. The committees also reserve the right to have the main facts in support of a nomination validated by an outside source.
CPAs selected by their peers in the various categories are recognized through community and provincial press releases, social media campaigns, and are profiled in CPABC in Focus magazine. CPABC seeks to ensure the broader community is aware of the contributions our members make to this province.
Browse the awards below to see what they recognize, how the eligibility and selection criteria work, and links to the nomination forms.
- Early Achievement Award
- Distinguished Service Award
- Lifetime Achievement Award
- Honorary CPA