Membership Application Instruction Guide – CFE Applicants
The Chartered Professional Accountants of British Columbia (CPABC) carries out its mission to protect the public by setting and enforcing high professional and ethical standards. Only suitably qualified and competent persons of good character may be admitted to membership in CPABC.
This guide will help you through the online admission application process. Please read it carefully to ensure that you provide complete and accurate information necessary to process your application efficiently.
When can you apply for membership?
You may apply for membership when you meet all of the following:
- Successfully passed the CFE;
- Received confirmation from the PER team that you have met the Practical Experience Requirements; and
- Completed the 7-hour PD course “Gateway to Membership: Welcome to the Pros”
Your application deadline is 12 months from the later of 1. and 2. above, as indicated on the landing page of your online membership application.
The application process – what you can expect
- You may start and return to your online application as long as you submit your application before your application deadline.
- Any attachments you upload will be saved for 14 days.
- Processing of your application commences after you submit all necessary documents and receive an email confirmation that your application has been received by CPABC. Please allow 4-8 weeks to process your application.
- Once your membership in CPABC is conditionally approved, you will receive an email to pay the application fee and pro-rated member dues. Upon payment, you will be admitted in CPABC and may use the CPA designation.
What you will need
- Your CPABC Online Services login credentials and password. If you do not remember your credentials or password, use the links provided at https://services.bccpa.ca for assistance;
- Access to a printer and a scanner;
- A .pdf, .jpg, .jpeg, .png or .gif of your passport, driver’s license, permanent resident card, BC Services Card, BCID, or Certificate of Indian Status (maximum file size 5MB); and
- 2 CPA members in good standing with CPABC to sponsor your application. Your sponsors must not be related to you and have known you for at least one year.
How to apply
Log into CPABC’s Online Services at https://services.bccpa.ca. Click on “Membership Application” in the green navigation bar. Follow the prompts to confirm your eligibility to apply for membership and note your application deadline.
The Application for Membership includes the following sections:
Confirm or update your personal information by clicking on the pencil icon.
Select from the drop-down box, the type of supporting document you will be uploading to verify your full legal name:
- Driver’s License
- Permanent Resident Card
- BC Services Card
- Certificate of Indian Status
Upload the supporting document by way of a .pdf, .jpg, .jpeg, .png or .gif.
The name field requires the assistance of CPABC staff to update. If there is any discrepancy between the name recorded in our system and your supporting document, upload your supporting document and contact CPABC at email@example.com. Do not proceed further with your membership application until CPABC confirms your identity, updates your record and notifies you.
Home Address Information
CPABC Bylaws require that you provide a current mailing address for the delivery of regulatory communications. You may provide an email address to CPABC to send you regulatory communications by email. You must immediately update your mailing and email addresses for any changes.
Click on the pencil icon to update your home address information.
Click on the pencil icon to update your employer information. If your employer is not listed, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your employer information including name, address, email address and phone number. CPABC will update your employment information accordingly.
Applicants must satisfy CPABC’s Membership Committee that they are of good character in order to be admitted to membership.
Answer the questions in this section accurately and completely. You may be required to submit additional information to CPABC, and your CPA sponsors, to assess your suitability for admission to membership upon request.
Once you have answered the questions, download and print your Character Declaration. Sign the declaration. Obtain the signatures of 2 CPA members in good standing with CPABC, who are not related to you and have known you for at least one year, to sponsor your application. Scan and upload your fully completed Character Declaration.
Application Review and Submission
Before submitting your application, please review the information and answers that you have provided.
Once you have submitted your application, please allow 4-8 weeks to process your application.
Terms & Conditions
CPABC may verify the accuracy of information you provide in your application for admission to membership, including addendum submissions. If you provide a false or misleading application, CPABC may deny you admission to membership or cancel your membership.
You may not use the CPA designation until all aspects of the application process are complete, including approval and payment of the application fee and membership dues. This application is limited to membership in the CPABC. An application for a practice license must be made separately to the CPABC Public Practice department (email@example.com).
The information in the online membership application is collected by CPABC under the authority of the CPA Act [SBC 2015] and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act [RSBC 1996] for the purpose of processing your application for membership. Upon admission to membership, this information will form part of your member record, which will be used by CPABC to administer and regulate your membership with CPABC; provide services under section 3 of the CPA Act; and develop new, or evaluate and make improvements to existing programs, services and products. Should you have any questions about the collection of this information, please contact: Associate Registrar, 800 – 555 West Hastings Street, Vancouver, BC, 604-872-7222.
CPABC’s Membership Directory is available to the public and displays members’ preferred name, first name, last name, designation and city of employment. If you have a valid reason why your information should not be included, please contact the Privacy Officer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
CPABC’s Privacy Statement is available at www.bccpa.ca or by contacting email@example.com
If you have any questions about the requirements for membership and/or how to apply, please contact us at:
CPABC - Membership
Suite 800 – 555 West Hastings Street
Vancouver, BC, V6B 4N6
Toll Free: 800.663.2677