cpabc.SkipToContent cpabc.SkipToRightNav

Public Practice FAQs

While bookkeeping in itself does not require licensing. If you are preparing GST/PST, payroll, or any other statutory filing that is commonly associated with bookkeeping, then you would require a public practice licence.

If you are providing public practice services, you require a licence. The fact that you are providing the services for free does not change the requirement for a licence.

Members preparing tax returns at volunteer tax clinics for low-income taxpayers must apply for exemption from public practice licensure. This application for exemption will provide you with free professional liability insurance coverage under a CPABC policy. This insurance covers volunteer services carried out in British Columbia only.

Remember, you must apply for this exemption each calendar year if you plan to participate in a volunteer tax preparation program every tax season!