Member Dues FAQs
Although the 2020-2021 membership dues deadline was April 1, 2020, members who are experiencing financial hardship as a result of COVID-19 may:
- Defer payment of 2020-2021 membership dues until August 1, 2020. The late administration fee and enforcement action for non-payment of membership dues will not apply during this period. Members do not need to apply for a payment deferral.
- Be eligible to seek a 50% reduction in 2020-2021 membership dues under the new Emergency Fee Reduction category. Criteria based on Income* for the 2020 calendar year and Net Liquid Equity* as at April 1, 2020 for the member’s Family Unit* apply. For further information, please refer to the Dues Reduction Categories. Members who meet the criteria may declare eligibility for the Emergency Fee Reduction in Online Services.
By reading definitions for the Emergency Fee Reduction category
By logging into your online services account, selecting “Fees, Receipts and Donation”, then selecting the Emergency Fee Reduction category and clicking next.
Annual dues notices are sent via e-mail by March 1 annually. You can review your notice(s) through your online services account after you receive your dues notice email. If you are having trouble logging in to Online Services, please contact CPABC Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Members can pay their fees through different options:
- by logging in to Online Services
- Through most financial institutions and credit unions. Please use your CPA ID as your account number.
- If paying by mail, please send payment and original invoice to:
Suite 800, 555 West Hastings ST
Vancouver, BC V6B 4N6
You may apply for a reduction of all or a portion of your member dues if you meet the criteria under the following categories:
- Reduced Fee - 50% fee reduction if below active income threshold
- Permanent Medical - fee waiver for permanently unable to work due to illness
- Financial Hardship - waiver of dues if family unit income and net liquid equity below threshold
- Retired - free reduction for those aged 55 or over as of April 1, 2020 and below active income threshold
- Long-term member - CPAs with 40 years of membership or age 70 as of April 1, 2020 receive an automatice waiver of dues
- Non-resident - reduction for members who resided outside of Canada or BC on April 1, 2020
See questions below for additional criteria for each category.
- Reduced Fee
- Financial Hardship
The active income threshold is $30,500 for the 2019 calendar year.
To qualify, the active income for the 2019 calendar year and net liquid equity as at April 1, 2020 must be equal or lesser than the income threshold for your family unit size. The thresholds vary depending on your family unit size. A declaration must be signed to receive the dues reduction. You can make a declaration through your Online Services account or by submitting the form found on our website under Member Services>Forms and FAQs.
Please note that the active income for the financial hardship category is different from the other dues reduction categories. Active income for the financial hardship policy is defined as income for the member’s Family Unit is the aggregate income from all sources including EI, pension income, investment income, support payments, and disability income for all persons in the member’s Family Unit. The maximum number of Financial hardship declaration is two lifetime.
The 2019 family income thresholds for the financial hardship reduction are:
- Family Unit of 1: $30,500
- Family Unit of 2: $38,000
- Family Unit of 3: $46,750
- Family Unit of 4: $56,750
- Family Unit of 5: $64,500
- Family Unit of 6: $72,500
- Family Unit of 7 or more: please contact CPABC at email@example.com
Members who believe they have a valid reason to receive a reduction in member dues and do not meet the eligibility requirements of any other dues reduction category may submit a written request to the Membership Committee to consider their circumstances. The Committee will review each request on a confidential basis. Based on the information submitted, a determination will be made and forwarded to the member.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.