Professional Development & Networking Event
Join us on June 22 for a day of PD and networking - here's an opportunity for CPAs in Yukon to attend a course on "Influence and Assertiveness" and "Business Ethics". Registration is limited, so register soon to ensure your spot.
“Influence & Assertiveness” and “Business Ethics” (9am-4pm)
“Business Ethics” only (12pm-4pm)
Networking social & BBQ event (6:30pm)
Influence and Assertiveness
Well-developed influencing skills and assertiveness are key competencies for managers in their day to day activities. This seminar will provides tools and techniques for enhancing the impact of power and influence and assertiveness with decision-makers and peers.
Who Should Attend
Individuals wishing to increase their influence and assertiveness, improve relationship building, and increase their impact within their organization.
In this session, you will learn
- three methods of influence
- sources of power and influence
- phases of influence
- how to conduct a quick influence test
- the bases of influence and conditions of their use
- to establish and use credibility, reciprocity and persuasion in different situations
- what is assertive, aggressive and passive behaviour
- assertive communication
- a “Bill of Assertive Rights”
- what is assertiveness inventory
- the assertive invitation and techniques
Business Ethics – It Starts With You!
This half-day course offers an introduction to understanding and managing ethical issues in a business setting. Through case work and open dialogue, the course explores the intersection amongst prominent theoretical approaches to ethics, personal values, business values and how they shape business decisions. We consider the rightness and wrongness of human conduct in a business setting based on these approaches. The course will offer a brief historical review and investigate various ethical theories such as utilitarianism, deontology and virtue ethics. The goal is to build a foundation for participants to investigate the ethical dimensions of controversial business issues found in the professions of medicine, business and law.
Who Should Attend
Individuals and leaders wishing to understand, reflect, and manage ethical issues in a business setting.
In this course you will learn how to
- foster an ethical mindset - explore and assess the contextual issues in business ethics and the ability to think critically and ethically within them. Participants will engage in an exercise designed to determine ethical assumptions, evaluate evidence, and perceive ethical processes.
- identify your “ethical standard” and how to communicate this standard in support of business decisions - how you manage a series of ethical dilemmas including how you structure ethical issues, use data and develop conclusions
- develop communication strategies in support of ethical actions - examine formal and informal communication tools to effectively communicate ethical ideas
- examine your understanding of key concepts and terms in business ethics - develop an awareness of the impact on ethics and business decision making at all levels of an organization
- reflect on ethical issues in a business context - collectively explore a problem in impact of business ethics in a global context in order to develop a perspective that matches their perceptions and evidence
This portion of the course contains 4 hours of ethics content.
DR. SHAWN IRELAND, M.SC., MA, E.Dd is the lead consultant and managing director of HRCgroup, inc. Dr. Ireland’s areas of subject matter expertise include action-learning initiatives in support of leading strategic change, management of virtual teams, project leadership, fostering critical thinking, communications, and managing human behaviour. He has worked extensively with international Fortune 500 companies. His book publications include “IFRAME: A Manager’s Guide to Critically Balanced Thinking” with his co-author Lorne Kelton and “Virtual Teams -- Seven Steps to Successful Virtual Teamwork.” and written numerous articles for professional journals and publications.
NOTE: There is a separate networking social and BBQ event at 6:30PM which you can also register for.