CPABC Burnaby/New Westminster Chapter

Volunteer for a Tax Clinic and Give Back to the Community Community

By Tierra Pawluk
Jan 4, 2021
Volunteer for a Tax Clinic and Give Back to the Community
Photo credit: Government of Canada
Members, CPA candidates and students can participate in the Canada Revenue Agency Community Volunteer Income Tax Preparation (CVITP) Program by volunteering to prepare tax returns and/or by helping a community organization host a free tax return preparation clinic. On the CRA Free Tax Clinics webpage, you’ll find details on how to register as a volunteer.

Many seniors, new immigrants, and low-income Canadians don’t know that they need to complete income tax returns to qualify for the various tax credits offered by the government. These Canadians need a helping hand, and you can fulfill this need.

In 2020, many community organizations transitioned to preparing returns virtually while some organizations were able to continue with in-person clinics (with adequate physical distancing measures).   The 2021 tax clinic season is expected to be the same.  Check with the host organization to find out how the clinics are to be offered. 

Before volunteering at a free tax clinic, members who are not already licensed for public practice must apply for an exemption to licensing. The online process takes only a few minutes to complete: go to the CPABC Volunteer Tax Services page and follow the instructions at the bottom of the page.

This licensing exemption application with CPABC is separate from registering to volunteer with the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program.  CPA candidates and students can also volunteer with CRA and  do not have to apply for an exemption from CPABC (as only members can be licensed). However, CPA candidates and students must be supervised by a CPA.  

Thank you for your support of this important program.   

Contact if you have any questions about this program.    

Related Articles